Oak Hammock Marsh

Shiloh and I visited Oak Hammock Marsh today. The constant wind off the marsh makes it very cold this time of year, and we weren't able to stay for very long. These are some of the pictures I managed to take in spite of my shivering.


This is the Oak Hammock Marsh "Interpretive Centre". The harsh architecture makes it look like a military installation.


Apparently, there are guided canoe tours, which explains the dock.








After chasing a prairie dog down it's hole, Shiloh waits patiently for it to reappear.


A prairie dog observes cautiously from it's burrow entrance.


After some time, I was able to get close enough to snap this picture before it scurried away.


A Canada goose eyes us nervously. Most of them are beginning their southern migration now.


A couple of startled ducks.


The marsh comprises approximately thirty-six square kilometers, and "is home to 25 species of mammals, 300 species of birds, numerous amphibians, reptiles, and fish, and countless invertebrates."*


I stopped and took a picture of this field for Rachel. The bales are much closer together here than in Bobchi's field. Nice, eh?

1 reactions:

rachel j. allison said...

Ya, it is nice. Looks like y'all had a good time...even if it was cold!