The cradle board, or papoose carrier, served (and in some areas still serves) as home to a native infant. Securely bound to the thin rectangular board, the baby could be carried on its mother's back or placed out of the way while she worked. The design of the board prevented injury to the child even if the board were to fall over (in many types a hoop or bow at the top of the cradle board served to protect the infant's head). The exact form varied from group to group throughout the continent, but almost invariably considerable energy was spent decorating the cradle board and its fittings.*


*Quoted from The Canadian Encyclopedia
8 years ago
8 reactions:
Where did this one come from? It's so pretty - I'll bet it's really stunning in person. And what keeps a little bitty baby like Ella from sliding down to the bottom?
Mr. Fiddler's mom made this one, if I'm not mistaken. To keep baby from sliding down, you stuff blankets, towels, or cloth down in the bottom. Then everything's bound up really tightly to keep everything snug. Neat, huh?
I think Ella looks like me in the second picture. Eh?
I don't like your new top thingy. Just so you know. eh.
Um... thanks?
I think she does look sort of like you in the last picture. :-D
Carol's cousin, Marsha, said that Ella looks like me. She says she looks nothing like Julie's side of the family, so she must look like mine. Ha.
that is real neat.
Post a Comment