Put simply, metacognition is the act of thinking about thinking; or, specifically, the act of thinking about your own thought process. This ability allows us to assess our own thinking patterns, methods, or paradigms, and to consciously modify them in order to become more efficient. It is especially effective in modifying subconscious processes.
A practical example of metacognition might be if I were to assess my own driving skills. I might perhaps realize that I have a tendency to drive too fast, or that I don't check my mirrors as often as I should. As I'm driving, then, I will be actively thinking about a thought process which might normally be handled by my subconscious mind. The immediate affect of metacognition is a loss of productivity -- that is, my processing time will naturally tend to drop as I concentrate on a previously subconscious mechanism. I'll make a point to be mindful of the speed limits, and to check my mirrors often.
The interesting bit is what happens after metacognition. Once I've consciously assessed and modified my driving habits, they will again become a subconscious process. Only now, productivity will increase sharply, to a level much higher than it was before metacognition. In affect, I'll become a better subconscious driver, automatically driving slower and checking my mirrors more often, without having to consciously think about it.
Of course, metacognition is useful in virtually every area of life. By actively considering, assessing, and modifying the way we think about things, we are able to better align our thoughts with predetermined principles, sharpening our decision-making skills -- and allowing us to turn a premeditated worldview into an automatic and subconscious thought process.
"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:2
8 years ago
0 reactions:
Post a Comment